Wildcats Beat Dragons in Final Minute

SAINT LOUIS— After trailing 10-0 midway through the 4th quarter, the Wildcats rallied for two touchdowns to knock off the St. Mary’s Dragons. Zack Dorton, senior, put the Wildcats ahead with a one-yard quarterback sneak with 50 seconds remaining.
The game was scoreless at halftime because of a solid defensive performance by both teams. St. Mary’s converted a 40-yard field goal in the third quarter. They added a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter before the rally began.
A long run by Ryan Allee, junior, set up an Alex Cacciarelli, senior, 6-yard touchdown pass from Dorton with 8:49 remaining. Allee led the Cats with 52 yards rushing on 7 carries.
The final drive started with a 67-yard completion to Cacciarelli to move the ball inside the 10-yard line. The offensive line helped get the push for Dorton to pull off the game-winning run.
The Dragons could not come back with 35 seconds left and their desperation pass was intercepted by Nathan Smallwood, junior.
“I really liked how our team came together in the 4th quarter and pulled out a tough win,” said Dorton.
The Friday night victory was the second victory for the Wildcats this season and ended their 2-year plus losing streak on Friday nights. The team has already matched their win total of last year as the team travels to Borgia for a 7 p.m. game on September 18th.