Wildcats Battle Priory in Season Opener

WEBSTER GROVES—The Wildcat football team began the season with a disappointing loss to Priory Saturday night at Moss Field.

The Wildcats came out hot. Eric Levenhagen, senior, ran for a twenty-six yard touchdown only four minutes into the game. This lead was short-lived as Priory quickly tied it up with a seven yard touchdown run by senior quarterback, Matt Jones. Jones fumbled the snap but the Wildcat defense couldn’t wrap him up, allowing him to score.

Westminster couldn’t answer the Priory touchdown. The second quarter was fairly quiet except for another Jones touchdown run.

As time expired in the first half, Westminster could not execute a field-goal attempt and headed to the locker room down 14-7.

The second half was dominated by Priory. They put the game away with two touchdowns. “Priory played a really good game. It just came down to the second half. We couldn’t execute on offense and Priory could. That was the difference in the game,” said Ryan Allee, junior running back. Allee rushed for thirty-five yards in eight carries.

“Obviously we didn’t play well enough to win but we definitely have things we can build on,” said Cory Snyder, defensive coordinator.

The Westminster defense allowed an average of 9.5 yards on second down. “We couldn’t get the ball back so that we could score. We couldn’t put them in a third and long situation,” said Snyder.

But there is a bright future for Wildcat football. “We have some things to work on to get better. It’s a long season. Obviously, we want to win all of our games but the last three games are what count,” said Snyder.

“We’re definitely a better team now than we were last year. We can do some serious damage in our schedule,” said Allee.

Catch the Wildcats in action next Saturday at home against Lutheran North at 1:00pm.