Filed under Opinion

Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Oftentimes, when people hear news that upsets them, their first instinct is to blame the person that told them simply because they are the easiest person to blame. However, that person may not share the same view that they are reporting, they may just be doing their job.  

This is the case for The Federal Communications Chairman, Ajit Pai with regards to the issue of Net Neutrality. Many people think that he wants to end net neutrality all together and therefore that he that he is anti-free speech or anti-small business.

Take this quote from the Free Press Organization for example, “Trump’s FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, wants to destroy net neutrality. In May, the FCC voted to let Pai’s internet-killing plan move forward.”

This organization paints Pai as a violent person, someone who wants to destroy the internet when in reality that is not the case at all. Ajit Pai’s real stance on net neutrality is actually quite moderate. Chairman Pai is apart of the Republican party, which means he stands for less government and more commerce. So, his actual goal is not to destroy neutrality but to excise regulations called the Title II regulations, which are regulations that allow the government to have control over some aspects of the internet.

“And my concern is that, by imposing those heavy-handed economic regulations on Internet service providers big and small, we could end up disincentivizing companies from wanting to build out Internet access to a lot of parts of the country, in low-income, urban and rural areas, for example” explains Chairman Pai.

Overall, Ajit Pai is not a terrorist against free speech or people’s basic rights but he instead is just an advocate for less government, which not matter what your opinion is on that, is not the same thing as net neutrality.  

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Thinking Outside The Bubble

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Time to “Spill the Tea”

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Opinions Vary on Kavanaugh Hearings

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Let’s Talk About It

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

A Lament for George W. Bush’s Favorite Sandwich

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

In A World Where TV Rules

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

The over-pressured, over-committed, almost “college” student

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Well Worth the Wait

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Sleep or School?

• Don’t Shoot the Messenger

Opinion

Sometimes You Get What You Pay For

The School Newspaper of Westminster Christian Academy
Don’t Shoot the Messenger