Upgrade Starts With U

Kissing at midnight, shooting off fireworks, watching the ball drop, or embracing loved ones are some of the many things we as Americans like to do to start off the New Year. But there is one thing that we’ve all done at one point or another, which at the mere mention of can either cause excitement or apprehension. And that is making New Year’s resolutions.

The basis for making a New Year’s resolution is an ultimate desire to become a better person. Whether that’s getting better grades or eating healthier, there are many aspects of our lives that we see as needing improvement. But what so commonly starts off as good intentions gradually become forgotten or pushed aside as old habits resurface.

If we would place our focus elsewhere, perhaps we wouldn’t be so quick to give up. The momentum and passion harbored at the start of the New Year could accomplish so much more if our goals went beyond ourselves and considered the world around us.

By focusing on reforming something outside of ourselves, we go from being self-consumed to selfless. It only makes sense that if we are to make a difference; we are to consider the wants and needs of others before our own.

There are two things that everyone can work on this year to make a positive impact on the world we live. They are: our character and how we spend our time. Those are the foundations that we can build off of to achieve our goal of improving this world.

Character is essentially who we are and how we live our lives. Everyone likes to be smiled at because it makes them feel special and significant. Try smiling at someone you don’t know, who may look like they need a little encouragement. Initiate a conversation with your teacher or a staff member asking them about his or her day. Guys, hold the door for a girl as you walk in to school or the classroom. And girls, be very appreciative when guys do so. Manners are a big part of character. Show authority you respect them and gain respect from your peers by saying “please,” “thank you,” and giving eye contact when addressing them. Being polite is such an important but understated quality. Small acts of kindness go a long way. And it’s small acts of kindness that build up to larger ones.

Become the friend that your peers are compelled to come to with their problems. This happens by proving yourself to be trustworthy and honest. Avoid gossip; that can only lead to trouble and by no means portrays you as a compassionate and caring individual. Listen to people and be less eager to talk about yourself. Inquire questions and offer advice to show your genuine interest.

How we spend our time mostly revolves around ourselves and our individual interests. This is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it is nearly impossible to avoid, but we should also incorporate activities where we are giving our time to others. Whether that’s volunteering at a soup kitchen, attending ESL on Wednesday nights, picking up litter on the side of the road, or babysitting for a single mom for free, there are many options. Try getting involved at your church, working in the children’s ministry or being a greeter, or raise money for an organization. Not only will you impact those you serve, but you will feel satisfied at your effective use of time.

Our benevolence and time volunteered will encourage others to “pay it forward” by devoting their time or interest in others. Brightening another’s day may bring on a domino effect of kindness. And it’s a domino effect of kindness that starts to make a difference.

The New Year doesn’t have to bring despair over abandoned resolutions. If we concentrate on those around us and how to enhance their lives, we may be surprised at the new people we became and the changes we helped foster by December 2013.