Power of Opinions

At first, the thought of having a column seemed quite easy. Writing about issues that are important to me and giving my opinion have never been a problem. However, thinking twice about my responsibility in writing this column has challenged me to think of all the opportunities I can create with my opinion. I have realized that it’s not just about blabbing about what irritates me this week but that it’s about using my opinion as a method to cause others to think about issues from a perspective different from their own.
I plan to write about the issues that don’t fit into the cookie- cutter image, the issues that most people disagree about. I believe that it is pointless to reiterate an opinion on a topic that is self-explanatory or irrelevant. I can use my opinion to make poignant statements when I speak out about more controversial matters. By not trying to alter my opinions to fit the status quo, thought-provoking questions and conversations can arise.
I would like to tackle topics that go beyond the walls of Westminster. These topics will relate to Westminster students as well as to outsiders. A good column reaches the minds of its intended audience and beyond.
Although I plan to address the in-your-face issues, I will do so with my Christian beliefs intact. In my opinion you don’t have to be provocative to be powerful. I plan to give my opinion when I feel something is wrong but I don’t plan on persecuting anyone in the process. Most of my stories will be targeting issues that I find to be immoral, controversial, or debatable. To me the biggest challenge in giving my opinions is the line between noticing a fault and bashing the actions and statements of those with whom I strongly disagree. Once you cross the line of bashing, the validity of your opinion starts to lose their value, which is why I will strive to be careful of not succumbing to this mistake.
Knowing that I have the ability to stimulate debates and critical thinking excites me. My ideal is that someone will read my column and spark the big conversation at the lunch table. This to me would prove that my passion and deep thoughts about the subject has been properly expressed through my words and manifested in the thoughts of others. I hope to be more than just a complainer and more of a launch pad for others to bring their opinions to the issues I discuss.
My first obstacle will be taking on roles of celebrities in our societies and whether or not there are lines that they shouldn’t be allowed to cross. I believe that there are undeniable standards set by celebrities that are major factors in our culture and the way we live our lives, even as Christians and Westminster students.