Improv: Past, Present, and Future

On Friday, May 17th, the final improv of the year took place. For this special show, both alumni, present improv participants, and future improv participants took part in the show. Alumni included Ian Farmer and Jake Hughes. Billy Bubenik hosted the show.

The show started with a pretend town meeting where the improvers were scattered throughout the crowd, and chimed in on the issue of a nuclear power plant being built. The outbursts became more humorous and random as the conversation went on. They began talking about things such as plants that had become nuclear and giant spiders.

“I done shot it in the face,” said Tripp Worley, sophomore. He was talking about the giant spider he found in the laundromat.

For this special improv there were four teams instead of two. The first game that was played was “5 things,” where the crowd was able to chime in. The crowd picked different objects that were made out of strange materials, and part of the team would act it out while another member guessed.

Another game was “Do What, Say What,” where the improvers had a nondescript location, and had to act out a scenario. The host would yell out, “Do what,” and the person would have to re-enact what they just did, but on a larger scale. They did the same thing with say what. The scene became quite dramatic.

One of the best games was “Returned Apartment”. Where the audience came up with an object that the people were returning. Jesse Gruneisen, senior, was the cashier. The person returning the items had no idea what they were returning and had to guess based on clues the cashier gave. The objects were a rubber chicken, faberge egg, barbeque pit, and Thor’s hammer.

There was also a game where the members rapped. The crowd came up with a name, and one person began the phrase while the rest had to guess what the main person wanted to say. They ended the night with a joke round.