Fall Season Kicks Off Under New Athletic Director

by: Anna Franceschelli – Print Editor

The fall season kicks off with major success under the direction of the new Athletic Director, Todd Zell.

Before coming to Westminster, Zell was the Athletic Director at Rockwood Summit for four years where he was previously the Head Coach for varsity boys’ Basketball, JV boys’ Basketball coach, Assistant Coach of varsity softball and the JV baseball coach.

Although he comes from a public school he is ready to take the challenge at Westminster.

“My athletic experience combined with my Christian beliefs allows me to run the Athletic Department efficiently. There is a bit of a learning curve with learning the new rules, and there is also the advantage coming from a public school, but it also brings a little higher standard,” said Zell.

Although Rockwood Summit and Westminster are two very different schools in many ways, Zell has adjusted well and has not made too many changes regarding athletics. There have been small adjustments, however, that will help to improve the Athletic Department, the teams, and the school overall.

“Small changes can be made, it will take a lot of tweaking and constant improvement, but nothing major,” said Zell.

Zell has been fulfilling his duties as Athletic Director since the beginning of the summer, working hard to ensure the year gets off to a good start, and every season following is just as good, if not better than the one before.

One new idea Zell has brought to Westminster is the formation of a Captains Council. This is a frequent meeting for all of the student captains of sports teams to attend to cover topics of leadership in order to help them become better leaders.

“One thing I miss about teaching and coaching is hanging out with students. Captains Council allows me to do that, along with being in the know of what is going on around school amongst the students,” said Zell.

Zell also hopes  having a Captains’ Council will help to maintain clear communication amongst all athletic teams and will keep them in the know of what is going on behind the scenes.

A few students, along with a couple staff members, had the chance to experience a meeting like Captains Council with captains from other schools. It was a MSHAA Sportsmanship Seminar where they had speakers and the students were able to meet other captains and coaches.

“It was a good reinforcement of being a sacrificial leader and setting a good example and making the most out of the gifts you have,” said Erin Bognar, junior.

One of the most difficult aspects of Zell’s job is that he has to make final decisions that deal with a variety of topics but ultimately are difficult for everyone involved.

“It’s not always about winning it’s about making the best decision for the team,” said Zell.

In coming to Westminster, Zell brings his experience and mottos with him.  One motto he has that applies directly to athletics is “Each day you’re either getting better, getting worse or staying the same. I hope we’re getting better,” said Zell.

With constant work and determination we will be able to improve each day as a school, as teams, and as individuals of Christian athletes in all seasons.