Spotlight on Poverty

When thinking of worthy causes to get involved in, many tend to look towards third world countries. Seeing the innocent faces of impoverished children plays on emotions. Although helping others in such countries is wonderful. Americans have become blind to the broken lives struggling in their own country.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau report in 2008, 40 million people live in poverty, which is over 13% of Americans.
Child poverty costs our nation around 500 billion dollars. Children who grow up in impoverished homes often times become adults who cannot contribute economically to society. However, the hurting people are the focus rather than the potential they have. Everyone can rise above their situation if they are given the opportunity. According to Spotlight on Poverty, an organization fighting to eliminate poverty, reducing poverty is not only a moral imperative; it is vital to our nation’s well-being.
According UNICEF, the existence of children engulfed in poverty within wealthy countries diminishes both equality and opportunity display commonality of values. Therefore, it addresses the industrialize world with an assessment of both its ideals and capacity to mend many of its most difficult social issues.
Spotlight on Poverty is a foundation-led, non-partisan initiative aimed at ensuring that political leaders take significant actions to help rejuvenate The United States. With the cushy life style that a number of Americans have the privilege to enjoy, they do not realize the poverty in their own nation. It focuses also on opening the eyes of Americans to take action and change the nation.
Therefore, Americans are beginning to tap into the issue and take the initiative to help their own people. However, it boils down to the fact that they remain in their comfortable life styles and situations on a day-to-day basis. When everything is seemingly going well the urge to help others simply doesn’t show. It is not always easy to step out of one’s comfort zone. Regardless, nothing in this nation would have ever got done if people were afraid and compromise their happiness.
It becomes difficult to decipher how to help from a Biblical perspective. On one hand, Christians are commanded to give to the less fortunate, yet the Bible states that there will always be people who live in poverty. Nevertheless, Americans can help the situation of the struggling. Wiping out poverty completely is simply not realistic, but making the effort to improve the lives is the ideal goal.
“When I went to Mexico I saw how much people needed our help, regardless if we can completely solve the issue it is what we are called to do” said Lauren DeRousse, junior.
One way Americans are taking a stand is through the global movement called End Poverty 2015. This group of people demand that their government honor their commitments to achieve the MDG’s by 2015. The MDG, Millennium Development Goals, was signed at the 2,000 UN Millennium Summit.
The MDG proved its sense of urgency, in its mission statement, which is, “to free our fellow men, women and children from the abject and dehumanizing conditions of extreme poverty, to which more than a billion of them are currently subjected.”
Locally in St. Louis, people are volunteering their time and money to mend broken lives. Someone Cares Mission, a subsidiary of Christian Service Center, Inc., supplies fresh and nutritious brown-bag lunches, personal hygiene products, and blankets for homeless and impoverished individuals and families five days a week.