Money Isn’t Everything

As students begin to determine their career, there are certain qualities to consider and specific jobs that are ideal in the ever changing job market. Every student is looking for something a little different in their profession, but the important factors are consistent. Job opportunities change constantly with the growth of technology, but there are jobs specific to today that encompass the issues prospective employees care about the most
MONEY magazine recently determined the best jobs in America through a series of surveys and research. These are not just the jobs that pay the best or require the least amount of work. Rather, they are the ones that provide for what people want out of their job.
“I want a job that is interesting to me. I don’t want to be bored or unhappy in whatever job I take. I want to be excited to go to work everyday,” said Rebecca Lambert, junior.
Lambert would like to go into medical research, specifically biochemistry. Money is the second factor she takes into account when looking for a job.
PayScale.com and MONEY conducted a survey of what makes a great job. The results concluded that highest rated factors were intellectual stimulation, love for the job, flexibility, and security.
Even in these economic times, where job losses are high and open work is slim, security was not rated the highest. It was rated equally among the other factors.
“I look for the level of experience I would get that would help me in my future job. I also consider the people I work with. I don’t want to teach kids that don’t care,” said April Johnston, senior.
Johnston would like to use her love of art history and Spanish for museum studies.
The top job that covered these points, according to MONEY, was a systems engineer. A systems engineer manages complicated projects on a large scale. They must delegate the duties to other engineers and resolve major issues dealing with important trains to military programs. An undergrad engineering degree is required and perhaps a certification as a certified systems engineering professional. Right now these engineers are in high demand.
In a recent survey of Westminster students, the most important quality that students look for in a job was enjoyment followed by money.
Money is not a major factor for Johnston.
“I am fine with being the low-end tour guide or I could see myself in an executive position, Organizing exhibits with museums around the world,” said Johnston.
This is also true for Sarah Eis, junior.
“Money is not a factor for me because I’d prefer to be paid less. I don’t like what money can do to people and I’m not going to put myself in that position.
The other top four jobs included a physician assistant (PA), college professor, nurse practitioner, and IT project manager. The requirements for each of these positions vary. A PA needs a masters degree and 100 hours of training every two years; a nurse practitioner has to have a master’s degree and registration as a nurse; a college professor needs a master’s degree and maybe a PhD; and a IT project manager requires five to seven years of technology experience and perhaps a MBA.
The number one job that students at Westminster are going into is a doctor, followed by a teacher.
Nevertheless, the top-paying job in America is an anesthesiologist. The median salary is $292,000 and the highest is $408,000, but 12 years of training is required before practice. The second highest paying job is an obstetrician/gynecologist, with the salary about $60,000 less than an anesthesiologist. Psychiatrists are close behind with a median salary of $177,000 and highest of $279,000.
Anesthesiologist, though the highest paying job, was not even on the list of top 50 jobs based on quality in America.