Westminster’s Expression of Mankind’s Universal Language

The Westminster Fall Concert served as an inspired articulation of mankind’s universal language on Thursday October 10th at Missouri Baptist College. The concert was unanimously viewed a remarkable result of gifted, hardworking WCA students and the guidance of their directors.
The concert alternated between band and choir performances. While mistakes were unavoidable, it was the flaws that touched some of the individuals in the audience the most.
“I thought it was excellent! I loved the benediction because I thought it was the time in which the choir seemed to have the most fun and that rubs off a little bit on the audience as well,” remarked Dr. Timothy Gibson, English teacher, after attending his first WCA band and choral concert.
Overall the directors seemed pleased with the end result and viewed the performances as a fabulous start to a great year of concerts.
“I was very excited about the concert. For a first concert, certainly, it went fairly smoothly. This year we really did not do any kind of warm up before hand or sound check; they just went up there and played cold and I thought they adjusted really well and sounded great,” stated Hugh Jones, band director.
Allen Schwamb, choral director, reflected in the same manor and was incredibly proud of his choirs, especially Mixed Chorus, who embodied the saying, “the show most go on,” and preformed with two out the twenty-three people sick. Jessica Owens, sophomore, sang a duet to “Seasons of Love” alone after Steven Lee, senior, became ill minutes before the concert’s opening. Schwamb was also extremely pleased with Concert and Chamber Choir’s performances.
“I was really glad that the Chamber Choir pieces came together, especially “By Your Side” because it has this difficult beginning where everyone is singing these really fast notes and they have to sing it right at the right time and it was not ‘jelling’ this last week and even in our first rehearsal on that night. It was not fitting together, but then in our last rehearsal it came together and on stage it was right,” remarked Schwamb.
The Fall Concert was a pleasurable articulation of mankind’s universal language, music.
“I was pleased that it was only two hours because I was afraid that with all the talent and the things that were going on it would be much longer than what it was. It did not feel long at all. It was really well done and moved at a great pace. I feel like it is defiantly something I would like to continue to attend in the future,” concluded Gibson.
The next band and choral concert will be on Tuesday December 8th beginning at 7:30 at Missouri Baptist College. Come and witness these talented WCA students play and sing the glorious carols and hymns of the Christmas season and experience the widespread language of music for yourself.