Coleman Moves to Full Time Teaching

From 7:55 to about 5:30, Douglas Coleman, Health/Physical Education teacher, is seen in the locker rooms, in the commons, in the weight room, in the old and new gyms, on the football field, teaching in room 22, and talking to middle and high school students. Last year, Coleman was only a part time PE teacher, but this year, more teaching has been added to his already busy schedule.
“With my busy schedule preparation is key. I have to prepare before and after school, as well as between periods,” said Coleman.
Coleman is doing his best to fill the shoes of Dave Schall, Physical Education Department chair. Schall has moved to new teaching positions and stepped back from middle school health to let Coleman try something new.
“Coach Schall did an amazing job with the Health curriculum. I have the challenge of making it my own,” said Coleman.
Last year, Coleman had two periods of athletics, and two periods of middle school PE. Now Coleman teaches Health, first and second periods, and his fifth period is middle school PE. In the fall during seventh and eighth grade periods, he coaches the eighth grade volleyball team. By taking up the health classes Schall taught, Coleman became a full-time teacher.
“I no longer teach health. Coach Coleman took over the two health classes I taught. I teach a new class WCA has added called Upper School Beginning Strength Training. We have also added an extra Men’s PE section that I teach. Along with those classes, I coach seventh and eighth grade soccer,” said Schall.
Coleman is thankful that he has gotten the chance to teach full-time.
“It’s great that I’m full time. I have the opportunity to develop relationships and get to know students. I have added some stability to my schedule. I feel that I am reaffirming God’s call to teach,” said Coleman.
Coleman hopes to be a positive influence in the lives of middle school student’s lives. Relating to middle school kids motivates him to come in everyday.
“Middle school is such an intense part of kids’ lives. I enjoy being prepared to help students when they’re struggling,” said Coleman.
Through it all, Coleman admits the decision to teach full-time was not easy.
“It was hard to get here. It was definitely a leap of faith,” said Coleman.
Before he came to Westminster, Coleman was a varsity basketball coach at North County Christian School. It was a North County Christian where he became a substitute teacher. Oddly, with a business background, he was led to be with kids.
“I’m open to God’s call. I hope to be here at WCA serving for a while,” said Coleman.