Whether From Seats at Home or Seats in the Stands, WCA Students Took in Their Favorite Olympic Events

Most teenagers’ summers consist of swimming at the pool, playing Xbox, or taking a vacation to Florida. While many enjoyed common events of summer, Trevon and Micah Gooch, sophomores, and their cousin Jabri Boyd, senior, went on a mission trip around the world. They were fortunate enough to be able to also include in their itinerary a trip to the London Olympics.
“I went because we had a ministry mission trip to pray for the nations and got the opportunity to attend the Olympics,” said Boyd.
While in the Great Britain, the family got the opportunity to watch men’s and women’s basketball.
“I saw the Dream Team play with LeBron James, and it was awesome to see the way the crowds reacted, especially when foreign teams were playing,” said Trevon.
The men’s basketball team was definitely a highlight of the Olympics. With numerous legendary players on the court, the US was aiming for gold in Men’s Basketball. When it came down to the wire, the US emerged as the gold medalists by a margin of seven points.
“Seeing Kobe, Kevin, and LeBron all in one team is something that I will probably never see again,” said Trevon.
While Kobe, Kevin, and LeBron dominated in the court, two-time beach volleyball Olympic champs Kari Walsh and Misty May Treanor battled through tough competition in pursuit of their third straight gold medals in the event and continuing an incredible winning streak.
“The women’s volleyball team, because I though that there was a lot of talent involved in playing volleyball,” said Zach Shultz, freshman.
Although Kari and Misty lost their first set in twelve years of Olympic competition during a preliminary round, they continued to be unrivaled in skill and placed gold with the younger US team following them in second place.
Taking it to the pool, there were numerous incredible athletes making history, such as 15-year-old Katie Ledecky, understated Ryan Lochte, and the legendary Michael Phelps.
“I’m obsessed with gymnastics, swimming and beach volleyball. I follow all my favorite Olympians on twitter and I stalk all of the swimmers, gymnasts and volleyball players in a good way,” said Erin Bognar, senior.
Many WCA students spent the majority of their last few weeks of summer in front of the TV cheering on their favorite athletes
The fifteen-year-old American record-holding sensation, Katie Ledecky, took gold in the 800-meter freestyle.
“Watching her (Katie) day in and day out, her attention to detail and focus, it’s just really impressive for a 15-year-old. She’s a smart swimmer. It’s not just get in there and go; she has a plan,” said Teri McKeever, the US women’s Olympics swim coach, in USA Today News.
“I watched that 15 year old girl break the record, and I just sat there thinking wow, I’m 15 years old and I haven’t really done anything in my life compared to her,” said Johnny Hardin, freshman.
Also in the pool was born a huge rivalry between driven Ryan Lochte and legendary Michael Phelps.
“This is my time,” said Lochte repeatedly in Olympics interviews about 2012. Lochte strongly believed that he posed a threat to the Phelps, the swimming legend. With this mindset, he dove into the pool for the 400-meter individual medley relay and not only beat Phelps but also won gold by a huge margin. With a huge victory over Phelps, it seemed like the new guy to watch was Lochte, but his success oddly depleted, and he went home with only one individual gold medal.
While Lochte’s fame and fortune slowly faded from view, Michael Phelps only grew in the pool. He swam a total of seven events and won four gold and two silver medals in his last Olympic games. Phelps also broke Larisa Latynina’s record, becoming the most decorated Olympian with 22 total medals.
“Phelps getting 22 medals and breaking the record with 18 gold medals, 2 silvers and 2 bronze was the highlight of the Olympics for me,” said Sam Thomas, sophomore.