“I Don’t Really Care” Means More Than You Think

Few teenagers are stranger to the nonchalant shrug of the shoulders and cool mutter of “eh, I don’t really care” that is a trademark characteristic of their generation. There are a handful of stereotypes that have marked teens for years, but the image of a lazy, apathetic American high schooler has emerged more recently to define young people in the current generation. But if one took the time to peel away the layers of apathy, he/she would discover a number of suppressed motivations driving America’s youth.
Many teens around the world wake up each day and put on a face of indifference for the sake of appearing confident or being accepted by their peers.
“A lot of kids brag about how they just didn’t do their homework last night or didn’t even try, but then I see them hand in completed work,” said Courtney Pfeifer, senior, “I don’t understand the point of lying like that.”
Every adult can recall the insecurities felt in adolescence and the pressures to fit in. The apparent lack of interest among teens is many times another attempt to establish a certain reputation. To avoid standing out too much or appearing nerdy, teenagers adopt a “chill,” relaxed, and uncaring attitude. Unfortunately, it is not until later in life when such students recognize the negative effects that their detached mentality has on their relationships and job opportunities.
Adults who regularly observe teenage students (parents, teachers, etc.) are most concerned by this apparent lack of interest and motivation to work because they are examining teenagehood in retrospect. So while parents and teachers may seem overly demanding, the source of their high expectations is rooted in genuine care and concern for the adults we are to become.
Dr. Nichols, senior Worldviews teacher, especially in light of the approaching Senior Integration Project, consistently reminds his students, “you’re big kids now. We aren’t going to hold your hand; it’s your job to stay on top of things.”
Although many teenagers fall into some sort of indifferent rut at some point, many people tend to overlook or disregard the entirely separate portion of American teenagers that do not fit the mold of apathetic laziness. These kids are very driven and motivated, work hard in school, and do it with pride.
“There are plenty of teens that actually care about things,” said Kate Krause, senior, “It’s kind of annoying that people think we’re all lazy.”
An entire generation has received a label based on the attitude of a handful and the kids who actually strive to be the best get lost in the mix. Recognizing the tendencies of their generation to act indifferent or uncaring, some students choose to separate themselves from those peers who might hinder their learning experience.
“I choose to take harder classes because I want to challenge myself and be in an environment with other kids that care about learning, too,” said Sarah Hughes, senior.
Responsibility and integrity are learning processes that a handful of American teens have chosen to embrace. These are the students whose character shines through later in life.
So the question concerning most adults in a teenage sphere of influence: do kids really not care?
“It totally depends on the type of person,” said Pfeifer.
The blanket statement that “teenagers just don’t care” is often thrown around without any investigation into the true character of teenage individuals. At some point, every teenager experiences feelings of apathy and laziness. What is done to either fight or cater to those feelings is what determines character. The insecurities of adolescence have a powerful affect on the uncaring attitude that many teens choose to adopt. But under the surface, there is a world of responsible, hard working young adults that are learning and growing as they mature into adulthood.