Miss Determined

She can be found almost anywhere: Taste St. Louis events, Radio Disney, magazine covers, community centers, school, pageants, to name a few. She can showcase her talents to make a difference in the world. Madison Burke, senior, is on a mission to set herself apart.
From fall to spring Burke is bombarded with the tests, quizzes, and homework of a strenuous Westminster Christian Academy curriculum. Her extra curricular activities add on to the workload.
“I’m a cheerleading captain, an ambassador, and the Vice President of the Senior class. I love being involved in everything,” said Burke.
Burke’s membership with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation Youth Advisory Board allows her to talk to youth about living healthy. Because of her busy schedule, she can tell others to eat better, exercise, or do any other activity that will help them go through each day with positive energy and freedom from childhood obesity.
On the surface it is difficult to see how demanding her schedule really is. “It’s pretty hard trying to stay on top of things,” said Burke.
“I’m always in a professional atmosphere. I get to fly across the country twice a year to promote healthy living. This type of atmosphere will definitely help me later on in life,” said Burke. Being involved in teen pageants and having her face on the covers of magazines helps her get the attention of girls who are looking for a mentor.
“Growing up I dreamed about being on magazine covers and becoming a beauty queen. It’s really exciting, “ said Burke.
Burke participates in numerous pageants including Miss Missouri’s Outstanding Teen. The Missouri section is connected to the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Organization. According to the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Organization, their mission is to “promote scholastic achievement, creative accomplishment, healthy living and community involvement for America’s teens.”
Recently, Burke’s familiar face took to the front cover of “Heart Insight”, a magazine that contains advice on preventing cardiovascular disease or similar conditions.
“My family has a history of heart disease. My mother has a condition called cardiomyopathy, which is an enlarged weak heart. She started volunteering to tell others about her condition and how to prevent it, so I decided to get involved in this issue as well,” said Burke.
Burke signed her letter of intent last summer, and will attend Lindenwood University on a “Youth of the Year” scholarship, where she will pursue a career in television communications.