Moorea Atkins

Building A Strong Portfolio

My tips and tricks for creating a portfolio that stands out from the rest.

Talking about creating an art portfolio is often very overwhelming for artists. I know it was for me. Never fear, for I am here to answer some common questions and offer a few tips to blow your portfolio out of the water against others. 

1. What is a Portfolio?

A portfolio is a collection of your best work. It’s a way to show off your skills to others, and share your art. You can have physical traditional portfolios, but many artists have their portfolios digitally nowadays. 

2. How do I start?

Create! Make something and go from there. It’s better to have lots of pieces than not have enough, so just start making something!

3. Do I need a theme?

Sometimes. Many professionals recommend you have some type of unity in your portfolio, but it’s really up to you. My portfolio has a common theme, but your theme doesn’t need to be about something. Your theme could be oil painting, where every subject of the piece is a different thing, but what every piece has in common is the medium. I’d recommend to just start making pieces and see what they have in common to start, or decide before you start creating. 

4. How many pieces do I need?

Depends on what your portfolio is and who you are sharing it with, but the general rule of thumb is to have ten at the least. 

5.  How do I make my work stand out from others?

My best advice is to have a variety of projects and mediums. In my portfolio I have a pumpkin carving I made as well as more traditional mediums and projects. Though a pumpkin carving seems pretty simple, it’s not something you often see in portfolios. If you have something memorable in your portfolio, you are more likely to be remembered and more likely to get the job (or the scholarship). 

6. What if somebody doesn’t like my portfolio?

Don’t get discouraged! I got a lower score than I expected on my AP Studio Art portfolio over the summer, but a full art scholarship at the college I applied to this winter. Never let one person or group’s opinion define your self worth!

Those are just a few of the common questions I get asked about making portfolios. Ultimately, your portfolio should be your own. You should be proud of it (and yourself). Don’t be afraid to ask for help or opinions if you need it. A great portfolio will have been refined and looked over multiple times by multiple people, but an excellent portfolio never stops growing. Now, stop reading this post and go make something cool!