logo

maggie lindstrom

logo

Digital Art: Yay or Nay?

My experience with digital art.

There are people out there who say that digital art is ‘not real art,’ for reasons that I do not understand. I for one, love using my iPad to draw because digital art opens a whole new world of possibilities to explore. But, there are some downsides to drawing digitally I will admit. So let’s discuss. 

Pro: Layers

One pro to using drawing apps like Adobe Fresco (what I use) or Procreate is the layers option. Drawing on layers is exactly what it sounds like, one goes on top of the other. This is very nice for complex drawings where you want to draw something that overlaps without ruining your drawing underneath. You can’t use layers in real life the same way you can digitally, and if you know how to use them well they’re perfect for drawing with lots of complexity. 

Con: Layers

The most infuriating thing is forgetting what layer you are drawing on. Trust me, it happens all the time. I for one delegate certain layers for one part of the body, say for example skin, and if I start drawing skin on a hair layer, it’s not a good day. 

Pro: Brush Variety

Another thing that I love about drawing digitally is all the different brushes and pencils you can use. Instead of having to switch your paper so you can add watercolor to a pencil drawing, you can just add another layer and continue on your merry way. You can use charcoal, pencil, oils, acrylic, and lots of different brush sizes to get the job done. 

Con: Brush Variety

I cannot stress this enough: deciding how to draw your drawing is exhausting. Do I use pencil or watercolor? Is charcoal better for shading or oils? Or do I use all of them??? I like the way this round brush looks, but the rake tool also looks cool! AHHHHHHH!!!!

Pro: Timelapse 

Many drawing apps will actually record a time lapse as you draw. These are 1) very cool and fun to watch, and 2) they are awesome to show any friends or family who want to see your drawing process. They are also fun to post on social media as a teaser for any upcoming projects. 

Con: Timelapse

On all my time lapses there is about a minute of cool drawing, and about two minutes of me drawing, erasing, and redrawing certain parts of my drawing. It’s not that it’s bad to draw and redraw – it’s good to work on something you’re going to be proud of. I just find it funny how indecisive and how much of a perfectionist I am when it comes to art, but other projects I put WAY less effort into. 

Pro: Digital Format

I love how easy it is to store my drawings on my iPad. It’s very easy to find them when I need them, as opposed to having big clunky canvases lying around. I can just pull them up when someone asks to see what I’m doing, and it’s like a mini sketchbook on the go.

Con: Digital Format

If you draw all the time, your storage is done for. My entire camera roll on my iPad is full of references and drawings. I don’t have any more storage for games or other apps anymore. It’s either art or Real Racing 3, and unfortunately I’ll have to wait to fulfill my need for speed. 

As you can see, digital drawing has its pros and cons. Personally I see that the pros outweigh the cons. But it’s really up to you. I still enjoy physical drawing and painting and it’s possible to enjoy both, there’s no need to pick sides. Digital art is awesome, and if you haven’t given it a try, consider checking it out. If you’re anything like me, you’ll be surprised how much you like it.