12 Angry Magnolias

Westminster has decided to unveil a new idea in theatre history. WCA’s two directors, Helen Scott and Jim Butz, are pitting the boys against the girls in two same-gender plays: Steel Magnolias, and Twelve Angry Men.

With only a limited time allotted for these two productions, practices are at the same time every day, for the month of April. Both groups of students participate in rehearsal five times a week after school, no exceptions. This is a brand new twist on what Westminster’s directors and instructors have ever done.

The cast of Steel Magnolias consists of only six girls, representing all grades; freshman to senior. “It’s so different being in a play with only girls. I find it kind of weird, yet at thesame time it’s so fun to be able to open up and not worry about impressing guys,” said Abby Smith, junior, who plays the role of Shelby.

However, the twelve boys involved in Twelve Angry Men mostly consist of upper classmen.

Both plays, however, are complete polar opposites of each other. Steel Magnolias is the comedic, yet tragic drama that follows the lives of six southern women in Louisiana who spend their days gossiping in a beauty salon. “This play However, is very different from Steel Magnolias. Twelve Angry Men covers the intense courtroom discussion about whether or not an 18 year old boy is guilty or innocent of stabbing his father to death,” said Scott.

But as usual, boys will be boys. The men participating in 12 Angry Men are having a blast without the girls around. “Working with an all male cast is a very different energy. The boys goof off a lot, and it takes them a little bit longer to become more vulnerable and not crack a joke.Also, the difficulty level of this play is at an all time high. This play is similar to Steel Magnolias, because it takes place on a single set with 12 actors on stage the entire time and aims to be hyper-realistic,” said Butz.

The drama heats up in both plays with intense conversations and riveting twists in the plot as the show progresses.

“It’s a lot of fun being so serious at times. Sometimes I feel as if we actually are holding the kids’ future in our hands when deciding his fate,” said Lance Richards, junior.

This season holds exciting new promises for the drama department, and is opening doors for opportunities for more single-sex plays down the road. With Westminster expanding to be a more experienced fine arts school, these two plays cut the “opening day” ribbon to a new era in theatre.