Why Not College?

A four-year college institution is not the place for everyone to start.   Two seniors, Emily Orf and Mary Snapp, have decided to take a different route instead of going straight to college.  Both will be attending the Kanakuk Link Year program.

“Link year is associated with Kanakuk camps.  I have been going to Kanakuk for a while and I heard about it while I was there for the past few years.  It’s a new program, but I love camp so I was interested in the program also.  After a lot of prayer and thinking, it just was the best option for me right now and so now I am so excited,” said Snapp.

This program is a nine-month post- high school program that is designed to build a solid Christian foundation for every student.

“I chose to do Link year instead of go straight into a four year university because it had everything I was looking for in a college. It is close to home, but not too close. Also, it’s small, and in or near a college town,” said Orf.

The students live in a dorm like setting on the K-Kauai campus.  The campus is located in Branson, MO.  None of the dorms on the campus are co-ed.

Students earn college credits through John Brown University.  Like most major universities, students are allowed to bring their cars and to hold jobs while enrolled.

“It’s different because it isn’t a college.  I will be living at one of the camps during the year, but the family camp which is much nicer and has actual buildings.  So my room looks basically like any other dorm room with a roommate and a community bathroom but just a whole lot smaller.  Although I can take college courses that are offered, most of the learning is about different subjects and isn’t in a specific class.  Incorporated in the month of February we all spend that month abroad and also do a lot in the community,” said Snapp.

Most students attend link year straight after their senior year of high school, but students may also attend after their freshman year of college.

“The link-year program is a gap year for students usually who have just graduated high school.  It allows students to get ready for college and know what they believe and why, and to do things that they might not have time for in college.  With this program we will also travel abroad a bit and go on mission trips,” said Snapp.

Link-year is made to help students in every way spiritually before they go to college and both of these students are taking advantage of it.  Students attend spiritual building activities throughout the year

“I chose to go to link-year before truly starting college because I wish to be more ready for college and grow stronger in my faith before going off to college,” said Orf.

A student’s admission depends on academics, test scores, extra-curricular activities and similar criteria.  The students are then offered entrance upon a first come, first served basis.

“If someone wants to do the Link year program, the acceptance process is not too hard.  You have to have the required GPA and everything any other college would require. They’re partnered with John Brown University, so the student has to apply to JBU and get accepted,” said Orf.

The program still works a little different then other schools’ application processes.

“It actually is not that difficult to apply.  There is an application process like a college might have, but it’s smaller, and this is also based on how many people have applied.  Since only a certain amount of kids can be in the program at a time, they have to cut the number off, and so program is sometimes run on a first come first served basis if you are qualified,” said Snapp.

Unlike most major universities, the students have a curfew and are not allowed to be in the opposite sex dorm rooms.

“The college helps to get students into a routine of having a quiet time and ‘thinking God’ every day,” said Orf.

The program is set up to help the students every day get in a better state of mind.

“Its so focused on helping me grow in my faith that I am just so excited to be in this next year. Throughout the year you are mentored and you take classes about the Bible and just being a Christian and the whole environment is to help encourage and challenge you in your walk with Christ.  I’m so excited to see what God can do with this next year in my life,” said Snapp.

A normal day and week at Link-year is much different then an every day college routine.

“I think it sort of depends, but I know that each week a different speaker comes in and he will teach that week, and so you have classes.  Then a lot of people get either jobs or internships in the area and people do that or volunteer somewhere.  The staff also plans a lot of different events, and Mondays are always mystery Mondays, so each Monday something different or fun happens.  So in this you’re learning a lot but also having so much fun,”  said Snapp.

The environment of this program is immensely different than that of a normal four-year college.

“The whole reason for this program is a lot different than college.  We are there not just for an education but to grow in our faith and be encouraged.  It is also so much of a smaller community.  I think there are supposed to be only around 40 people next year and so you get to know everyone as well as all the staff pretty well,” said Snapp.

Both hope to get similar things out of the program that a four year university would not give them.

“I am so excited to learn more about the Bible, and spend time being mentored and the opportunity to travel abroad, and learn more about what I would like to do and study in college,” said Snapp.

The program gives students ample opportunities to go fishing, hiking, and exploring all around the Ozarks and globally around the world.

Any students that wish to tour the facilities can call and schedule one any time during the school year.

All of the information about the Link year program at Kanakuk can be found at www.linkyearkanakuk.org.