Making a Difference and Changing the World, One Child at a Time

Ryan He, senior, along with other international students, have started a charity here in the United States to benefit people around the world.  The international charity is called ‘With a Warm Heart’ and is put on by a group of Chinese high school students in the United States. It is called the One Dollar project and was started in 2011.

“In the charity with 258 members from different countries all over the world, I was voted to be the vice president. Started in the summer of 2011 by asking people for donation on streets, ODP raised over $20,000 in 25 different cities in seven different countries,” said He.

Last summer,  with the mission to help needy kids from all over the world, the group selected 39 students in their organization as volunteers, and they went into a poverty-stricken school in a rual village in China.

“You can never image those left-behind children who have no parental care at all. Those poor kids can only eat one meal, at most two, per day. During those days, twenty guys had to sleep at one room which is even smaller than the size of a classroom. We bought school supplies with our funds, spent money on fixing the leaking ceiling of their building, and helped the two teachers in the entire school by giving lessons,” said He.

OPD had been recognized by the public media in China and their actions of serving the children in need has now encouraged more people to pay attention to charity.

“Last week, One Dollar Project had its first year anniversary celebration at Harvard University in Boston. Many celebrities from different fields including professors from Harvard University and UCLA, famous actresses, and super model Leah Darrow, came to our banquet and gave speeches about charity and love. Over 140 students joined us in Boston,”said He.

At this event, there was lots of ticketing and auctions. The group raised over $7,000 and it will all go to the poverty-stricken school for a new library.

“As we plan to raise money in 25 different cities throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, and Asia, our project in 2013 is to build eight libraries for eight poverty-stricken schools in southern China and Southeast Asia. Recently, we cooperated with Architecture School of Tsinghua University in China, who will be responsible for the design of the libraries and we are contacting libraries in China for books that we need,” said He.

The charity is doing everything in their power in order to help people all over the world.  They hope to help all of the children that are left behind and forgotten about.

“While we believe one dollar can make a significant change, One Dollar Project is confident about helping more and more homeless, left-behind children in every corner of the world,” said He.

The charity has been stiving to make a difference and help poverty stricken children all around the world.  The kids that are apart of the project have been working together to see this succed for years now.  The students have left the comforts of their homes and helped to make a difference in the united states and around the world.