Rebuilding JOMO

Many think back on the year of 2011 and think of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan’s coast, the year the Packers beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl, or that royal wedding that captivated so many. However, the devastating tornado that terrorized Joplin, Missouri is less noted.

At first, volunteers came by the busloads, eager to help in any way they could, whether that be rebuilding some of the thousands of buildings that had been leveled, or joining a search and rescue team to find missing persons. But as the months went by, the number of volunteers began to dwindle despite the overwhelming amount of work the town of Joplin still needed to complete.

As an eighth grader, Emily Huddleston, attended her brother’s graduation on May 22nd. The graduation was held at Missouri Southern State University, as there were too many graduates for the ceremony to be held at the high school that would later be completely flattened by the tornado.

Huddleston was driving home along with her parents and two younger siblings when the tornado took hold of their Suburban and lifted the family, throwing them three blocks from where they had originally lost control of the car.

“After we landed, my parents both turned around to see if we were all okay. I know that was hard for them to do, they didn’t want to see anyone hurt. I looked down at my leg and saw a lot of blood, I knew it wasn’t good, but I kept telling myself that it could always have been worse,” said Huddleston.

Though she was unaware of the severity of her injuries at the time, Huddleston was in great danger of losing her leg. She was transferred to a hospital in Parsons Kansas where she was treated for eleven days.

“My whole hospital visit is kind of a blur, but I remember parts of it. I remember that sometime that day or the next my family came to see me. I was so happy to see that they were all okay. I think the first time I cried was when I was able to hug them all,” said Huddleston.

Huddleston’s home was one of over seven thousand that were completely flattened by the storm. After some time had passed, they were able to begin the process of rebuilding and Huddleston recognizes just how blessed she and her family are.

Today, the town of Joplin is still rebuilding. There are houses slowly popping up one by one where entire neighborhoods used to stand, but the town still has much to complete.

“Almost two years after the disaster, the town still looks quite desolate. There are little to no trees and driveways leading to empty lots where houses once stood. It looks like a town rebuilding after a war,” said Steven Howell, sophomore.

Metal roofing is still wrapped around trees, debris piled up in abandoned lots, and a once bustling town now seems much more desolate. And that’s today.
Two funnels collided in Joplin to create one massive, mile wide tornado that ripped through the town destroying over eight thousand buildings and causing over six hundred casualties.
But the damage caused in Joplin was greater than just the physical demolition of the town.

“While in Joplin, I met a little girl whose family was driving in their Suburban during the storm and was thrown two blocks away by the tornado who still hyperventilates every time there is a thunderstorm,” said Mattie Drury, senior.

Media pays much less mind to the small town of Joplin, despite the current struggles to rebuild even two years after the storm. Because there is little news coverage, Joplin falls out of memories and most assume that the city has moved on. But there is still much to be done.

“The tornado has forever changed the city and people of Joplin. The section of Joplin that got hit was completely stripped of trees, grass, and plants. It looks like a wasteland. And even though they have rebuilt a good majority of the houses, the destruction form the tornado is still obvious two years later,” said Drury.

Some organizations and churches in Joplin have recruited volunteers and hope to continue to do so until the town has made a full physical recovery. Organizations that are still aiding the town of Joplin today are American Red Cross, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, Rebuild Joplin, along with many churches and local efforts.

The traumatic experience of the storm still leaves many in fear of nature’s power, however the town of Joplin is rife with hope. And though there are many projects and jobs to be completed in order for the town to make recover, the city has come a long way. Joplin residents are very supportive of one another and continue to hope for the best in every circumstance that comes their way.